Thursday, April 30, 2009
Then after some more minutes we moved on into the other room where the food was laid out on a plastic "table cloth" or "sifra" on the floor. Many dishes all heaping with rice, soups, yaprax, chicken, and salads. I should have taken a picture. I made the mistake of loosing my plate to the mother of the house who filled it with more yaprax than I could possibly eat and I don't even like yaprax. It is rice and sour stuff wrapped in grape leaves or this other kind of leaf that we don't have in the U.S.
After eating as much as possible and even drinking mastau (a yogurt water that is reminiscent of cow--and which I think as much as I don't care for it, it helps with digestion), we moved into the living room where the TV was on. I don't think I've been in a Kurdish home without the TV on unless there was no electricity. We mostly ignored the extreme wrestling/boxing/whatever kind of fighting that was and talked some more. We drank tea, which was good, but it was late at night. And then we tried to leave... BUT! You can't leave without eating some fruit. So they hurried and brought out the fruit. Katie and I managed to split a banana and they didn't try to make us eat anymore, phew!Hopefully as we get to know them more they will treat us less like guests where we have to be forced to eat.
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Another random meme... yeah, just for those of you who who have nothing else to do and are probably related to me!
I want….. to be content.
I wish….. I were in heaven.
I hate….. the selfish and terrible things I do.
I miss….. my family.
I fear….. myself.
I feel….. uncertain and confused.
I hear….. the buzz of our refrigerator.
I smell….. kerosene and candles.
I crave….. love and affirmation and understanding.
I search….. God’s word for answers to my life.
I wonder….. what will become of me.
I regret….. my complaining spirit.
I love….. my students and my team.
I ache….. for the lost to know God.
I care….. about my relationships with people.
I always….. am the steady one.
I am not….. an ideas person or a decision maker.
I believe….. that God will get me where he wants me to be.
I dance….. whenever I am alone and happy.
I cry….. too often.
I don’t always….. say the things I want to say.
I fight….. through prayer and petition, with thanksgiving.
I write….. whatever comes to mind.
I never…. will be forsaken by God.
I listen….. most often.
I need….. to be more prayerful.
I am happy….. when my heart is right with God.
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Another set of random questions that I am answering to procrastinate from writing my 5th grade science test.
2. What color is your favorite hoodie?
I’ve only got a blue one.
3. Would you kiss the last person you kissed again?
I kissed the cheeks of some of the tenth grade girls… Yeah, I’ll kiss them again.
4. Do you plan outfits?
umm… how do you mean “plan”?
5. How are you feeling RIGHT now?
depressed and sick
6. What's the closest thing to you that's red?
7. Tell me about the last dream you remember having?
I dream so often.
8. Did you meet anybody new today?
yes, I am constantly meeting new people
9. What are you craving right now?
10. Do you floss?
11. What comes to mind when I say cabbage?
12. Are you emotional?
13. Have you ever counted to 1,000?
14. Do you bite into your ice cream or just lick it?
chunky=then I bite it
15. Do you like your hair?
16. Do you like yourself?
depends on the hour.
17. Would you go out to eat with George W. Bush?
I guess, if he really wanted to. But it would be awkward I think.
18. What are you listening to right now?
Noor and Katie talking in the kitchen.
19. Are your parents strict?
20. Would you go sky diving?
I guess so.
21. Do you like cottage cheese?
sure… in stuff.
22. Have you ever met a celebrity?
I don’t think so.
23. Do you rent movies often?
24. Is there anything sparkly in the room you're in?
my jili kurdi is in my closet. Other than that… not really.
25. How many countries have you visited?
I don’t know.
26. Have you made a prank phone call?
no, that’s rude.
27. Ever been on a train?
28. Brown or white eggs?
As long as the inside is white and yellow, I don’t care.
29.Do you have a cell-phone?
30. Do you use chap stick?
31. Do you own a gun?
32. Can you use chop sticks?
33. Who are you going to be with tonight?
34. Are you too forgiving?
35. Ever been in love?
This is a stupid question.
36. What is your best friend(s) doing tomorrow?
Probably going to school like a good girl… I love you Laurel.
37. Ever have cream puffs?
38. Last time you cried?
too long ago.
39. What was the last question you asked?
Are we cooking for team dinner tomorrow here at your house?
40. Favorite time of the year?
Spring in Kurdistan, Summer with my family.
41. Do you have any tattoos?
42. Are you sarcastic?
Usually only in my head.
43. Have you ever seen The Butterfly Effect?
Like, actual butterflies? Or is there a movie? Or the actual process of how one flap of a butterflies wings can change the course of the world?
44. Ever walked into a wall?
many kinds of walls actually… but poles and pillars more than walls.
45. Favorite color?
Don’t have one.
46. Have you ever slapped someone?
47. Is your hair curly?
48. What was the last CD you bought?
I was given a Yo Yo Ma CD for Christmas.
49. Do looks matter?
In many things, yes.
50. Could you ever forgive a cheater?
By the grace of God, yes… I forgive my students quite often for cheating.
51. Is your phone bill sky high?
52. Do you like your life right now?
Yes… but why am I so miserable?
53. Do you sleep with the TV on?
54. Can you handle the truth?
55. Do you have good vision?
56. Do you hate or dislike more than 3 people?
I don’t think so.
57. How often do you talk on the phone?
58. The last person you held hands with?
I held hands with Katie as we ran away from the freaky men in Dohuk.
59. What are you wearing?
purple shirt, jean skirt
60.What is your favorite animal?
61. Where was your default picture taken at?
My default picture? What’s that mean?
62. Can you hula hoop?
I used to be able to. I’d have to practice a lot.
63. Do you have a job?
64. What was the most recent thing you bought?
a rolling pin, some thread, some balsamic vinegar, and some other junk.
65. Have you ever crawled through a window?
Saturday, April 04, 2009
This is about half way down the street and downhill. Each Newroz (New Year) everyone in the city goes out and walks up and down the street. Different groups have music or food on the sides of the street. But those aren't the real attractions. The real thing is to see everyone you have ever known and to watch people, especially foreigners or politicians. It is swarming and not the easiest place to walk through. We were exhausted by the time we finished, but it was worth it. Everytime we stopped for anything we drew a crowd of our own. P got interviewed by a news crew on what he thought of the festivities. People followed us around with cameras to take our picture. You'd think we were something special. =) But we did manage to see some of our students and their families which made me feel a little more normal.