Sunday, September 23, 2007

Presidential Stuff...

So, I generally ignore the news. But with the Presidential Elections coming up, the encouragement of my parents that I should not be clueless, and a certain personal interest in the foreign policy of the next President, I decided to begin doing some research. I came across this. I don't know much about the guy but I have to admit I was impressed by this paragraph from his website.

If we leave, Iraq's neighbors on all sides will face a refugee crisis and be drawn into the war: Iran to protect the Shiites; Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Jordan to protect the Sunnis; and Turkey to protect its control over its own Kurd population. Iraq is a crossroads where Arab meets Persian and Kurd, Sunni meets Shiite, so if it's not a peaceful buffer, it can easily become a tinder box for the region.
Personally, living in the Middle East, this is something I would rather avoid. Now I am going to go look up what other Presidential Candidates think will happen if the U.S. pulls out of Iraq.

No comments: