Thursday, June 21, 2007

Temptations

It is interesting to me to see how Satan behaves differently in different places. In the Middle East there are many kinds of temptation and it all depends on the person. For me, I fought against loneliness, comparing myself to others, and self-pity. Here in the U.S. those things are still temptations, but things are added that I never really dealt with too much overseas. For example, today I got my financial reports and began worrying about money. There aren't any new problems or anything, it is all pretty much the same stuff and the same needs. But I began to be anxious. After about 10 minutes it hit me what I was doing and thinking and how I just let myself fall into it after being free from those sorts of things for a good long while. I refuse to be a slave to my worry. It is not hard for me to trust God in some areas, but sometimes I get blindsided by old struggles I thought I had passed beyond. But there is a beautiful solution. I love how the Bible says, "if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I am so blessed to serve such an amazing God.

4 comments:

mreddie said...

I am constantly amazed, astounded even by the love and grace of God. I'm also amazed by God's creations, even those in my own yard. ec

Nick Jesch said...

Interesting, isn't it, how we are, in truth, masters of our environments, yet so easily allow it to usurp that role and begin to control US. Hmm, haven't we read that story before? Something about a snake, and a tree, if memory serves......but the answer is, and was then, to return to the perfect (unchanging, complete) Word. To clarify, no, we are not ultimately masters over our circumstances in the sense we determine them. But we ARE masters over how we relate to those things, and in that sense can preclude their mastery of us. Paul and Silas in prison come to mind.......and the jailer rejoiced. It is when we are weak enough to rely upon Him and His Word that we become strong enough to reign. What a paradox, eh? Truly, foolishness to them who do not believe.

By the way, your openness is very refreshing......and rare. Appreciated.

Susannah said...

Maybe you've felt worried about finances, because you're now back in the richest nation in the world. We're so much more materialistic here... because we can be. You have such a good attitude about leaving it all in the Lord's hands, and confessing. It's wonderful that you've enjoyed periods of freedom from financial worry while overseas. :~)

thebeloved said...

mreddie: Isn't God good!

nick jesch: It is hard to be open, so I understand why it is rare. Glad you are refreshed.

e-mom: Yes, the U.S. is very materialistic and those kinds of things pop up so often. And yet, it is frustrating that the richest people in the world are the most concerned about money. God is continually working on me. I don't always have a good attitude, but He has blessed me with one more often than I deserve.