Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Blank Books of Thankfulness


I spent the last four days in Denver, Colorado with my sister. One afternoon she tucked me away at a little bookstore called the "Tattered Cover".  If I owned a bookstore, I would want it kind of like this: full of cubby holes and nooks with couches and wooden chairs. Nearly everything is wooden; the ceiling beams are exposed and the floor creaks. Books seem to belong wrapped around with more of themselves, more tree. And sitting among the stained shelves, running my hand along the smooth wood-grain of the table, I feel at home... almost.

I sat next to the blank book section. This was a bit of a difficulty as I am somewhat of a fanatic for blank books and journals. I am very picky about them, however, preferring certain styles and most importantly narrow lines. Blank books are full of possibility, so full of promise, they are empty and unknown. They are the place for stories, real stories, that have not become yet. They are untold. This is exciting... most of the time. The uncertainty can be terrifying as well, that is, if the focus is on the emptiness of the page rather than the story and its author.  



714. A long talk with Katie
715. Unlimited minutes phone plan
716. New pink shirt
717. Scarves
718. I like my feet!
719. New jeans and earphones
720. Being sure of my shoes
721. Laughing with Laurel
722. My sister forgave me for how I treated her as a child
723. I did a lot of confessing as a kid
724. My parents are so creative!
725. New underwear
726. "We Would See Jesus" by Roy and Revel Hession
727. "The Tattered Cover" bookstore that provides inspiration and rest
728. Little boy at Chinese grocery
729. My new computer
730. Jake's giggles
731. Little boys who like to go fishing
732. Mango Caramel Chicken
733. Cilantro
734. Successful made-up pasta salad!
735. Laughing with Katie

1 comment:

Belinda said...

Hi tthanks for sharing this