Monday, February 28, 2011
60. Reminders of God's promises from others
61. Going jacketless to language lessons
62. Having people I can e-mail when I'm broken
63. A 'cuppa' with some old friends
64. Getting my grades entered into my computer
65. 800 mg Ibuprofen
66. Being totally out of my comfort zone
Sunday, February 27, 2011
55. That no one is threatening my life.
56. That I enjoy my Kurdish class even when I'm tired.
57. That God convicts me of sin and that even when I don't want to let my bitterness go I see that it is worth it because God is worth so much more than my hurt feelings.
58. For my quiet bedroom.
Saturday, February 26, 2011
Friday, February 25, 2011
We make a huge joke about our self-indulgence and treat with amusement our failure to pull ourselves out of bed early enough to get to work without a hectic rush. An eighteenth-century hymn by Thomas Ken would seem quaint nowadays:Awake my soul, and with the sun
Thy daily stage of duty run:
Shake off dull sloth and joyful rise
To pay thy morning sacrifice.
Monday, February 21, 2011
47. Not getting days off for local rioting because it means my kids (students) aren't curiously wandering about the streets getting hurt.
48. Helping resolve issues peacefully between friends.
49. Ranch dressing... enough said.
50. Talking with the neighbor lady and being able to be a friend who knows what it is like to live in a different culture and learn a new language. (She's used to living in the UK, but doesn't speak English.)
51. A water bottle full of Airborne to drink all morning in class.
52. Being caught up on my grading (even if it was only 12 hours!)
53. Whoever it was that switched on the neighborhood power breaker to our house (we were running the dryer)... thank you!
54. Reading Psalms with my kids... we can't get to God... SO MUCH TRUTH!
I can't even think about anything else anymore except good conversations with my students as they walk themselves through their own depravity. The Word is so logical. Everything follows. How amazing is that!
Friday, February 18, 2011
As a young girl I remember my mother teaching me that nothing is too small to pray for. Having searched through the shoe basket what seemed a hundred times I was then praying to find my lost shoe to put on for church.
NOTHING is too small for the God who made cells and atoms and electrons and amoebas and fingerprints and isn't this a horribly and amazingly complicated "backdrop" for the story that God is so flamboyantly writing?
So I pray for books. Enough to give away to aching expat women. Pray with me.
Thursday, February 17, 2011
41. Texts that wake me up at 3am from a dear friend 11 time zones away.
42. The toys and puzzles in my house getting played with.
43. Green tea and white pear scented candles.
44. Relying on God for provision in every area of life... and how this becomes a habit after extended practice.
45. Having lasted longer in the psychological war with my students than they expected. (They tell me they are now going to bring out the big guns!)
Monday, February 14, 2011
35. My yellow tablecloth.
36. Asking God for some kind of extra time off and actually getting it. (Who knew that a celebration of Muhammad's birthday could be an answer to prayer.)
37. A clean house.
38. Listening to sermons on Ecclesiastes. I'm so excited to teach this next week.
39. Molly wearing a camo adventure hat.
Sunday, February 13, 2011
What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us. The history of mankind will probably show that no people has ever risen above its religion, and man's spiritual history will positively demonstrate that no religion has ever been greater than its idea of God. Worship is pure or base as the worshipper entertains high or low thoughts of God. For this reason the gravest question before the Church is always God Himself.”
- A.W. Tozer, The Knowledge of the Holy.
Thursday, February 10, 2011
This all leads up to the point that I just spent almost 10 minutes heating up my soup in 30 second increments. Sometimes I wonder where the time goes... this is one of the places.
Sunday, February 06, 2011
27. New lamps with bulbs that are more than 20 watts! I love light!
28. A team who loves me in spite of my faults.
29. The book of Judges and how it, too, points to Christ
30. The aroma of Highlander Grog Coffee
31. The eyes of someone desperately concerned about their sin
32. Making dinner for a large group of people! (As a single girl with one roommate this isn't everyday for me!)
33. Having made it to the age of 27.