Friday, February 10, 2006

Bloggers Nemesis

It is ironic in some ways but as a amateur blogger my nemesis is my blog. I use my own blog as well as other people's blogs as a way to put off doing things that I really ought to do. Procrastination has become a fine art with this online world of friends and facinations. For example, right now, as I type these very words, I ought to be typing the words to an English paper on the gender issue in late 1800's American literature. So, it isn't that I don't want to be writing. Nor is it that I didn't enjoy the stories we read. I just don't want to do my homework. I struggle with this idea with my students and have yet to discover just how to conquer it. I want them to enjoy what they read in school the same way I enjoyed things when I read them out of school. I want them to enjoy writing for class the same way I enjoy writing not for class. I have not been able to make myself that way, so trying to make my students that way is proving difficult. However, I would like to boast that four of my students actually enjoyed Moby Dick this year. That is a feat in itself. Anyway, I am going to go be a disciplined student and type my paper; well, actually, that is unless something else distracts me first... like those blogs on the side of my page... they are some good ones!

No comments: