Friday, June 29, 2012

Epiphanies

So I found this book in McKay's bookstore. (McKay's is like the Costco of used books; it's amazing and addicting and very very dangerous.) The book is called "The 3 A.M. Epiphany: Uncommon Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction." And while I don't tend to write fiction, I liked the idea of learning to write in different ways and I also like the idea of having epiphanies!

Yesterday and today I began working on the first lesson. Writing something that is obviously in the first person perspective without using the words "I", "me", or "my" more than twice all together. This is not easy. Sometimes it feels awkward. Sometimes it just ends up branching out to be more creatively said. I'm still working on it.

It kind of reminds me of the time my sister wrote an entire paper for her Rhetoric teacher without using the letter "e". He didn't even notice. And I don't expect anyone who might happen to read my short 600 word first person perspective writing to notice that "me" is used only once and "I" is used only once. But I do hope that they notice the point that I'm trying to get across.


No comments: