Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Love in the Bamboo Forest

The tall young man had his arms wrapped around her, her back to his chest. He leaned over toward her ear and said, "You are so important to me, I love you." She didn't seem to respond and half a moment later she had broken free and skipped off to see something else, maybe the lights in the bamboo forest; he followed after. I was sort of disappointed in her. She couldn't just enjoy her place in his arms for a moment?

And then it hit me.


That's how I so often treat God. 

He speaks love to me, wraps me up in his love, cares for my every need, and instead of resting in that love I am always pushing on to something else. Sometimes it is even something good and beautiful I move towards. Its just that I forget to say thank you, I love you, too, or even acknowledge the lavish outpouring of his grace upon me. I have become so accustomed to his love that I take it for granted. And that's what I need to remember, that it has been granted to me, a great and precious gift, one meant to be enjoyed.

So, now what? A good reminder, sure, but how can I remember in the future? I'm sure it has to do with being thankful, seeing God's gifts. But I honestly don't know. I'm foolish. I will forget. But, for now, I remember and am grateful. God bends down to earth and tells me that he loves me and cares for me and I am so happy.



No comments: