Saturday, September 29, 2007

Awesome...in a literal sense

I listened to a sermon today by a man named John Courson. The people I live with have some CDs and I thought it would be good to listen to something. The sermon was on the passage of Genesis 5. I dutifully read the passage before listening to the message and was intrigued. I don't think I have ever heard a sermon on Genesis 5. It isn't much to look at. It is the geneology from Adam to Noah with all the years of births and deaths. What most people (including myself) would generally consider rather dry...at least until I heard the talk. This chapter is indeed a presentation of the gospel although in a rather odd and fascinating way. Below is a listing of each man's name and the meaning of his name in the order of the geneology.

Adam=man
Seth=appointed
Enosh=subject to death
Kenan=sorrowful
Mahalalel=from the presence of God
Jared=one comes down
Enoch=dedicated
Methuselah=dying he shall send
Lamech=to the poor and lowly
Noah=rest or comfort

Man, appointed subject to death and sorrowful. From the presence of God, one comes down dedicated. Dying he shall send to the poor and lowly rest and comfort.

Now that can't be a coincidence, can it?

3 comments:

e-Mom said...

Not coincidence! I've seen this elsewhere and it's awesome. Names are very important to God, as evidenced here. Blessings. :~)

Robin said...

this is amazing! never have heard or seen it.

Great to be reading your thoughts!

Love,
Robin

Dave said...

Fascinating!